Thursday, May 30, 2024

Music | News | Sports | Technology | World|Breaking news, shows, podcasts,Entertainment,events....

BSC honours Rwanda’s heroes,...

As Rwanda marks Heroes’ Day on Thursday, February 1, BSC takes pride in...

Top 10 richest people...

Business Insider Africa, a pan-African innovative business news provider, has presented – courtesy...

South Africa to lead...

The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Monusco,...

RDF, Pakistan armed forces...

The Rwanda Defence Force (RDF) Chief of Defence Staff, Gen Mubarakh Muganga was...
HomeREGIONALRWANDABamporiki requests a...

Bamporiki requests a reduced sentence.

The former state minister in charge of culture Edouard Bamporiki on Monday requested court to reduce a 4-year jail term that he was given in September and also appealed for the withdrawal of abuse of authority charge.

Explaining the basis of the defendant’s appeal, his lawyer Jean-Baptiste Habyarimana said that their appeal was based on three things which is requesting the withdraw of the charge of abusing authority given to him by the law, reduction of Rwf 60 million fine and getting a suspended sentence for the charge of fraudulent acquisition of another person’s property.

Habyarimana pointed out that the reason they are requesting the charge to be removed is because the prosecution failed to explain how he committed it. For instance, he said that the prosecutors didn’t explain clearly how Bamporiki used his position to bail out his friend’s wife among others.

In addition, he said that the fine of Rwf60 million is not justifiable saying that based on the nature of the crimes as well as what the law provides, the fine should have been Rwf30 million instead.

Furthermore, Habyarimana said that they are requesting for two to three years sentence based on what the law provides on the fraudulent acquisition of another person’s property charge and a suspended sentence on some charges so that he can take care of his wife who has been sick since last year.

However, the prosecution also appealed the first verdict rendered by the court decision and requested for more than the four years he was given. Prosecution had sought a 20-year sentence and a fine of Rwf200m.

Initially, Nyarugenge Intermediate Court handed him a four-year jail sentence and a fine of Rwf60 million in September after convicting him of two counts of fraudulent acquisition of another person’s property and abusing the authority given to him by the law.

 

The former State Minister in charge of culture Edouard Bamporiki with his lawyers requested court to reduce a 4-year jail term also appealed for the withdrawal of abuse of authority charge. COURTESY

Continue reading

BSC honours Rwanda’s heroes, pledges support to national devt

As Rwanda marks Heroes’ Day on Thursday, February 1, BSC takes pride in joining the nation in honouring the courageous individuals who have played pivotal roles in the country's history, contributing to peace and prosperity. Heroes' Day is a solemn...

Top 10 richest people in Africa at the start of 2024

Business Insider Africa, a pan-African innovative business news provider, has presented – courtesy of the Forbes real-time billionaires list – the top 10 richest people in Africa at the start of 2024. The Forbes Daily billionaires ranking platform tracks daily...

South Africa to lead new military force in the DRC

The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Monusco, is ending after 20 years. It will be replaced by troops from the Southern African Development Community (SADC), led by the South African military. Thomas Mandrup,...